Legislation for refrigeration field
Refrigeration field legislation in brief
This chapter includes:
pieces of legislation that impact the refrigeration field and are effective in August 2018 are listed below:
- Regulation (EC) No 1005/2009 of the European Parliament and of the Council, i.e. the Ozone Regulation, lays down provisions on the substances that deplete the ozone layer.
- Regulation (EU) No 517/2014, of the European Parliament and of the Council, i.e. the F-gas Regulation, is aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions in accordance with the emission reduction goals and encouraging the transition from F-gases to other alternatives, wherever technically feasible.
The Ozone Regulation and F-gas Regulation are directly applicable in Finland and other parts of the EU.
In addition to this, supplementary provisions regarding substances that deplete the ozone layer as well as fluorinated greenhouse gases (F-gases) have been laid down in Chapter 17 (Sections 159–166) of the Environmental Protection Act (527/2014).
Government Decree (766/2016) on the certification requirements of the personnel and undertakings handling devices containing fluorinated greenhouse gases or ozone-depleting substances – Certification Decree.
Regulations on maintaining refrigerant-containing equipment and the recovery of refrigerants are issued in Government Decree 452/2009.
The authorities to control the implementation of the Decree are specified in the Environmental Protection Act (86/2000, Section 22).
The most important national and EU-level laws, regulations and directives to be observed in the refrigeration field:
- Low Voltage Directive
- Machinery Directive
- Pressure Equipment Directive
- Government Decision on substances that deplete the ozone layer
- EU Regulation 2037/2000 on substances that deplete the ozone layer
- Ministry of the Environment Decree 1129/2001 on the list of most common types of wastes and hazardous wastes
- Environmental Protection Act
- Act 587/2001 on the amendment of Chapter 48, Section 1 of the Criminal Code
- EU regulation 842/2009 on certain fluorinated greenhouse gases
- Government Decree 452/2009 on the maintenance of devices containing ozone-depleting substances or fluorinated greenhouse gases
(This list is indicative. Updated information, decisions, decrees, acts and so on can be found on the edilex.fi service, for example).
Do you want to know more?
Read the site of The Ministry of the Environment in Finland:
Read our site: The Environmental Impact Indicators of Refrigerants